Monday, May 28, 2012

Baking with My Mom

She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her: “Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all.” 
Proverbs 31:27-29

My last visit with my family in MS in Nov. 2011~
My brother Mark, my sister Mindy, me, and my mom~
Oh, and this time I baked for my mom!
Since Mother’s Day is in May, this post is dedicated with love to my mom. Many of my happiest experiences revolved around watching my mom bake. When I was very small, I sat on the drain board next to her and watched. As I got a little taller, I stood on a kitchen chair next to her and watched. When I was tall enough to stand next to her and reach the mixer, I was allowed to add ingredients and maneuver the mixer under her watchful eye. Though health issues prohibit my mom from baking now, her homemade pies remain a family legacy of love and yumminess. In fact, we often chose for mom to bake a birthday pie rather than a birthday cake because of their unique yumminess!! The key to my mom’s pies was her homemade crust. In honor of my mom, here is her pie crust recipe:

Mom’s Pie Crust
Cut together 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of Crisco shortening, and 1 tsp salt until they have the consistency of small peas.

Add 6 TBSP of very cold water (Place measured water in the freezer for best results.). Stir mixture into a ball. Cover with waxed paper and allow to set for awhile.

Using a rolling pin, roll with plenty of flour into a circle a little bigger than the pie plate.
 
Fold into halves then fourths. Open into pie plate. Ensure it extends over the lip of the pie plate at least 1 inch. Then fold over the edge and crimp symmetrically using both index fingers.

Use a fork to prick the bottom of the crust in several places to let out steam.

Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned. Add your favorite non-bake filling. In future posts, I will share pie recipes with fillings to bake and/or with pie crust on the top and the bottom of pies. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. that's the same recipe as my grandma's! Best flaky pie crust ever!

    ReplyDelete