Monday, May 28, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

"A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones."   
Proverbs 17:22

While recovering from an extended illness, I took the wisdom in Proverbs 17:22 to heart in hopes of recovering more quickly.  Learning something new and the fun of cooking definitely make my heart merry...that explains my new found affinity for Pinterest and its associated recipe blogs. I definitely have the time now, so I decided to try my hand at blogging, too.

Last night my husband and I tried one of the pinned Pinterest recipes.  My husband did the bending, lifting, dish washing, and photography...oh, and periodic taste-testing.   I simply had the fun of cooking (got to keep my heart merry)!  I modified the Pinterest recipe slightly to appeal to the palates of the Burns Bunch.  Here is how we made the Burns version of Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas.

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray Pam in a rectangular baking dish (at least 9" x 13").

Mix the ingredients for the filling in a big mixing bowl.
      3 or 4 cups of shredded, cooked chicken breast
      4 oz. can of green chiles
      1-1/2 cups of salsa (Choose the level of heat you like best!)
      1-1/2 cups of a mixture of shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses
       1 small can of drained corn
Enchilada Filling
Pour a 10 oz. can of Old El Paso Enchilada sauce in a pie plate.
Enchilada Sauce in a Pie Plate
Dip flour tortillas in the enchilada sauce one at a time, ensuring both sides are covered completely.
Dipping Tortilla in Enchilada Sauce
Then put about 1/8 of the filling mix in each tortilla and roll  it.

1/8 of Filling per Tortilla
Place rolled, filled tortillas as close as possible to each other in the baking dish. A baking dish will fit 8 or 9 of these.  The baking dish should be full.
Rolled, Filled Tortillas
Mix topping in a small mixing bowl.
        1 cup sour cream
        1/2 can of cream of chicken soup
        A few dashes of Baja Chicken spice

Spread the topping evenly over the rolled tortillas. 
Topping Spread over Tortillas
Top it all off with 1/2 to 3/4 cups of the shredded cheese.
Covered with Cheese & Ready to Bake
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Let the cooked enchiladas sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Enchiladas ~ Ready to Eat

We enjoyed our enchiladas with a tossed salad.  I hope cooking this recipe will make your heart as merry as it made mine.





2 comments: