Sunday, May 27, 2012

My 3 Sons

“Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” 
Psalm 37:4


Around the corner from my childhood home in Pascagoula, Mississippi, lived a very colorful character. I called her Mrs.(pronounced Mizz in MS) Phyllis. She was a wife and stay-at-home mother of 3 sons: Charles, Tony, and Carl. I loved to spend time with her. She did things as a homemaker that interested me like canning her own pickles. I can still remember the vinegar smell, the cheese cloth (1st time I’d heard of that), the Mason jars, and the huge pots of boiling water. She was a great cook. I loved to talk to her as we shelled peas together or she prepared meals – usually with lots of garlic. I remember that she invited me once to eat with her family; she made stuffed shrimp-yum! Her family had a color TV in their family room at a time when we still had a black and white TV, so that was a big deal!

One Saturday Mrs. Phyllis invited our neighbor Paula and me to come to her house and watch “Gone with the Wind” with her family on the color TV. It was a huge privilege, because my mom rarely let me go to anyone else’s home in the evening. I enjoyed watching her family dynamic as much as I enjoyed watching the movie…and “Gone with the Wind” remains one of my all time favorites. I noticed how much she enjoyedinteracting with her husband and 3 sons, and they seemed to love and respect her just as much in return. I remember consciously thinking at the end of that night, “ I hope I have all sons when I became a mother to love and enjoy and be loved by in return just like Mrs. Phyllis.”
This is where Psam 37:4 comes in. Did God place a desire in my heart all those years ago to be the mother of sons because He knew that I would have sons OR did I have sons of my own because God saw at that early age I had the desire for them? Whatever the answer is…I am thrilled with my 3 sons: Timothy, Nathaniel, and Andrew.

My 3 Sons: Nathaniel, Andrew, & Timothy

 My oldest son Timothy is an airborne Arabic linguist for the US Air Force.   My middle son Nathaniel is studying to be a Hebrew linguist for the US Navy.  My youngest son Andrew just finished his 2nd year of college and is transferring to the Art Institute of Atlanta to finish his degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment