Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Brownie Pops

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Romans 12:9-11

Last Friday marked six weeks since I had to give up my teaching position in hopes of getting well...well enough to resume a reasonable quality of life.  I looked at my records yesterday and it was exactly 3 months before that I had my first Dr.'s appointment to try to resolve this health issue.  Though the medical community has found many problems in that time, I was told yesterday that none found so far could completely account for the pain and subsequent numbness and now the return of feeling and pain in my back and left leg.  They want to try yet another procedure that may take away the pain for weeks, months, and at times years...or if they are guessing wrong will have no effect and they will try different tests. But for that procedureI have to wait another 17 days, though. I know so many others have gone through much worse health issues than I am experiencing that I am not complaining; I am simply hoping to get well and go back to a better quality of life.  Both Timothy and Nathaniel are planning visits here soon and it would please me greatly to have enjoyable visits with them that included the ability to walk around some New Mexico venues and cook/bake for them during each visit. 

In the meantime, I want to learn any spiritual and/or lessons I should learn in this situation.  I had the privilege of going to a darling program that the Elementary School Fine Arts Camp from my school produced last Friday night.  The administrator and elementary school principal hosted/organized/planned/chaperoned/coordinated the entire camp for the kiddos and I saw that several of my favorite students were coaching at the camp that week from pictures posted on Facebook.  Though a very small token, I wanted to do something loving for all of them to show that I noticed what a fine job they were doing at that camp during their summertime.  Thus, the idea of brownie pops`a version of the latest cupcake pop fad~was formed.

Here is what I did.  Maybe you would like to try it to show love and appreciation to someone you value, too.

I gathered the ingredients for brownies from a mix, since this was just an experiment. 


Betty Crocker fudge brownies are my favorite brownies from a mix. 

I used directions for the cakelike brownies, since I wanted the consistency of a cupcake pop.



I baked the brownies in a 13" x 9" pan and let them cool completely.



Separately I mixed a basic buttercream frosting using 1 stick of margarine, 4 cups of confectioner's sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla, and enough evaporated milk to make the desired frosting consistency.




Then I broke up the pan of cooled brownies in the frosting until it was the consistency of play dough.




I then covered a baking sheet with parchment paper and placed 2 tsp-sized balls of the brownie/frosting mix on it.


 


I placed them in the freezer 10 minutes.  At the end of the 10 minutes, I gathered lollipop sticks and melted some chocolate in the microwave (60 second intervals on 1/2 power until it is melted).


Then I dipped the ends of the lollipop sticks in melted chocolate and  stuck them in the cold brownie/frosting balls. 

I placed those in the refrigerator and dipped the tops in melted chocolate.  That way they looked like a frosted cupcake to me with the frosting on the top and the cakelike brownie showing at the bottom. 


I put waxed paper over a piece of styrofoam to catch any drips.  I returned the brownie pops to the refrigerator until ready to serve.



To me, the brownie pops were very sweet.  Since this was an experiment, to the other half of the brownie/frosting dough I added 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter for a salty balance to that sweetness. This time I only made the balls in a 1 tsp size. I used a cup that was deeper than wide for melting the chocolate, so I could dip the brownie balls completely. It made them look more like individual chocolates.


I also melted some extra semi-sweet chocolate chips with a couple TBSP of margarine and a bit of evaporated milk as dipping  chocolate as well.


I also let these harden in the refrigerator and then placed them in mini cupcake papers, so they looked like individual chocolates.  I loved these!  They lasted several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  I highly recommend these!  They would be easy to use in the color theme of a shower or party.

1 comment:

  1. I have had the privilege to personally taste these, and they are WONDERFUL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete