Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cream Cheese Brownie Bites

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.  Deuteronomy 31:8

Father's Day is still painful for me.  My father disowned me in a Christmas card in 1986, the Christmas my oldest son was one.  In a nutshell it said that I was a disappointment as a daughter and he would no longer communicate with me...and he never did.  After receiving that card, I continued to send him birthday cards, Father's Day cards, holiday cards, and even a birth announcement in 1989 when my son Nathaniel was born the day before his birthday (I was sure he would want to meet his grandson).  I wanted to do all I could from my end to keep in contact with him, so I would have no regrets.  Then a card I sent my father was returned, so I knew he had moved. At that point I lost contact with him. At the end of October 2005 my father died of a heart attack.  His wife called one of my siblings (I don't remember which one) and let us know our father died.  She was sure we would want to come to the funeral. Since my father had disowned each of us one at a time in different ways, none (2 sons and 2 daughters) of us had had any contact with him for years.  My sister and I decided to go to the funeral in north Alabama.  I needed closure.  The minister talked about what a wonderful family man my father was...how painful to hear.  He had a wife, step children, and a grandchild there mourning for him.  They were the ones he had communicated with the last 20 years and the ones who received his inheritance.  It was odd; that was MY father.  I looked at him in the casket and asked, "Why?"  I will never know the answer to that question.

Now you may be surprised at what type of a man my father was before he disowned his children.  I was raised in a Christian home.  In fact, I went to church the first week that I was born.  My parents were always active in our church.  We had devotions together in the front room and said prayers every night.  My father was the song leader in our little church in Moss Point, MS for years.  He was a deacon in the church as well as a Royal Ranger leader.  If there was a church service, our whole family attended.  That may not sound like a "big deal", but there were many week-long revivals when I was growing up...we went every night!  When my Gromma Brown (my father's mom) had a stroke, she had to stay in a nursing home.  My father left my mother for one of the nurses there and our family was never the same after that...

Life continues, however.  Though my earthly father cast me aside, I cling tenaciously to the verse at the top.  I know that my Heavenly Father will never leave me nor forsake me.  Even if I am a disappointment to Him, He won't disown me.  So when others enjoy the love of an earthly father, I won't despair; I will enjoy the love of my Heavenly Father and find contentment.

For now I am still having health issues; I can't wait until the day I don't have to say that.  They've gotten even worse since June 5th and I have been in such pain that it was often close to unbearable.  Nonetheless, I wanted to do something special for my hubby yesterday.  I knew going to a restaurant or cooking a full meal was not possible, so I opted to make him a dessert--his choice.  I had such pain in my back and leg I would do a little, sit down awhile, and then continue...I DID finish making him that special dessert...finally!!  And, yes, it was made with lots of love.  Here is the recipe and some step by step pictures:

Cream Cheese Brownies
(Makes 2 dozen cupcake-sized brownies or 4 dozen mini cupcake-sized brownie bites or 1 dozen cupcake-sized brownies and 2 dozen mini cupcake-sized brownie bites)

Brownie Ingredients


4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups baking cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP of instant coffee dissolved in 2 TBSP of water
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup melted margarine
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Cheesecake Filling Ingredients


16 oz cream cheese, softened
6 TBSP granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake pans with spray Canola Oil. Be sure to grease the bottoms and sides of each cupcake well.

Brownie Batter
Whisk eggs,
cocoa,

salt, baking powder, dissolved coffee, and vanilla until well combined.

 
Stir in sugar and melted margarine.  Using a rubber spatula, stir in flour. 




Cheesecake Filling Batter


With an electric mixer beat egg yolks, softened cream cheese, and sugar until smooth.



Spoon brownie batter in bottom half of cupcake wells. Add a dollop of cheesecake filling on top of the brownie batter. Then top off each with a small dollop of brownie batter.


For the mini cupcake-sized brownie bites bake about 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


For the cupcake-sized brownies bake about 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Cool at least 10 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack before removing brownies.  Allow them to finish cooling on a cooling rack or enjoy them warm.

Mini Cupcake-Sized Cream Cheese Brownie Bites


Cupcake-Sized Cream Cheese Brownies


**I made 1 dozen cupcake-sized brownies and 2 dozen mini cupcake-sized brownie bites.**

Cream Cheese Brownies
(Makes 2 dozen cupcake-sized brownies or 4 dozen mini cupcake-sized brownie bites or 1 dozen cupcake-sized brownies and 2 dozen mini cupcake-sized brownie bites)
Brownie Ingredients
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups baking cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP of instant coffee dissolved in 2 TBSP of water
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup melted margarine
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Cheesecake Filling Ingredients
16 oz cream cheese, softened
6 TBSP granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake pans with spray Canola Oil. Be sure to grease the bottoms and sides of each cupcake well.
Brownie Batter
Whisk eggs, cocoa, salt, baking powder, dissolved coffee, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in sugar and melted margarine. Using a rubber spatula, stir in flour.
Cheesecake Filling Batter
With an electric mixer beat egg yolks, softened cream cheese, and sugar until smooth.
Spoon brownie batter in bottom half of cupcake wells. Add a dollop of cheesecake filling on top of the brownie batter. Then top off each with a small dollop of brownie batter.
For the mini cupcake-sized brownie bites bake about 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the cupcake-sized brownies bake about 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool at least 10 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack before removing brownies. Allow them to finish cooling on a cooling rack or enjoy them warm.





2 comments:

  1. Debbie--You are a TRUE blessing and inspiration to those around you. My family and I are BLESSED to have you in our lives! We "Brown's" are related in heart! :)

    And those bowniew look DELISH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are very meaningful. Thank you, Erin.

      Delete