Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gromma's Peanut Butter Cookies

"... their children will be a blessing."  Psalm 37:26b

My sons, Timothy and Nathaniel, are both visiting!  Yes, that sentence merits an exclamation point because my children are a blessing to me.  It is now a rare privilege to spend time with them in person, so my mommy heart is extremely happy.  One of my favorite ways to bond with my sons when they were young was baking, so it is a special part of their visits.  Timothey arrived July 16th and Nathaniel arrived July 20th.  Since my sons are such a blessing to me, I enjoy bleesing them in return.  My Gromma's recipe for peanut butter cookies has been a favorite in my family since I was a little girl and they are one of Timothy's favorite  homemade cookies, so I will share this recipe with you. 

Timothy enjoying a warm Peanut Butter Cookie


Gromma's Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes at least 5 dozen cookies

Yummy cookies ready to eat

Ingredients

1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
2 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt

Directions
Cream together shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla.



Add eggs and mix thoroughly.


Add peanut butter.


Add flour (I add 2/3 cup of flour at a time and thoroughly mix before adding more flour), baking soda, and salt.  Mix.  The batter will be thick.



Make teaspoon-sized balls of cookie dough.


Make criss-crosses made with a salad fork dipped in all-purpose flour on an ungreased cookie sheet or Pampered Chef. (I highly recommend using Pampered Chef because your cookies will not burn nor stick.  No, I do not sell Pampered Chef...I just love to bake with it!!!!)



Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from cookie sheet 2 minutes after removing from the oven.  Place on paper towels on the counter to cool before storing them in a cookie jar.



Serve warm with a glass of milk.  They taste like love!!!  No adjustment to the recipe is needed for high altitude.  They are the type of cookie that stays soft.  Yummy
!!

Timothy enjoying a peanut butter cookie warm from the oven!




Gromma's Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes at least 5 dozen cookies~

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream together:
1 c. shortening
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Add:
2 eggs

Add:
1 c. peanut butter

Add:
2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt

Make balls of dough and with criss-crosses made with a fork dipped in flour.

Bake at 375 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove cookies from cookie sheet 2 minutes later. Allow to cool on paper towels on the counter before storing in a cookie jar.






No comments:

Post a Comment